Wednesday 27 July 2011

A Splendid Cardigan Show!

It's been a great day.

I've spent the day at Cardigan Agricultural Show and in the many years that I have attended the show, it has probably been the best that I can recall.

It was the 157th Cardigan Show since it was formed in 1854 and in its day it was I gather the biggest one day show in Wales. My grandfather J.R.Lewis I'm told was a previous President of the Show and was an avid competitor. Over the years my family have continued our proud association by competing regularly with our Shire Horses in his memory. It was therefore a great personal privelage for me to be the Patron of the Show two years ago in 2009 when I was the Mayor of Cardigan.

It remains a big event and today I felt was the best that I have experienced.

Traditionally held on the last Wednesday in July, the sun was shining today and we had a wonderful view looking down from our high vantage point towards the estuary and Cardigan Island. There was a great crowd to visit a large number of stalls, the exhibitions and of course to watch the competitions. I was attending today as the Vice-Chair of Ceredigion County Council and was therefore invited for the second time to have lunch with the President -this year, local insurance broker Delwyn Griffiths. I also spent time accompanying Mark Williams MP around the show and in the afternoon, my Alyson joined us! We called in to see my mum who was in charge of the CADAMM (Cardigan and District Agricultural and Maritime Museum) stand - it's always felt like a family affair to me such is our association with the show!

When I was Mayor in 2009, we had to contend with heavy and muddy ground after torrential rain on the eve of the show - to such an extent that many vehcicles had to be towed out! Not today however as the sun shone down on us righteous people of Cardigan and district and helped ensure that the atmosphere throughout was positive and enthusiastic.

A big well done and thanks to the Show Committee for planning, co-ordinating and executing a fine event once more.

Roll on Cardigan Show 2012!

No comments:

Post a Comment