Saturday 29 January 2011

Old at Heart (Part Deux) - The Rock'n Roll Golden Years of Music

Following on from my 'Golden Years of Music' blog post in which I reminisced of the songs from the 50s and 60s which I can recall from my childhood having been born the son to a 'Teddy Boy', a number of readers commented that what I left from my selection was a homage to the rock'n roll giants of the age.

As a fan of this genre then, I felt it only right to blog on some of the rock'n roll giants of this time.

Where do I start? Well, it has to be Chuck Berry hasn't it. From 1964, as made famous for a new generation by the 1990's film Pulp Fiction, 'You Never Can Tell'.



I've already blooged about my love for Fats Domino, so here he is, in 1957 with 'Blue Monday'.



Gene Vincent 'Be-Bop-A-Lula'd in 1956.



Forever in the shadows of the likes of Cash, Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis, was the highly under-rated Carl Perkins. A personal favourite of mine, from 1956, was his 'Honey Don't'.



But speaking of him just now, Johnny Cash is a great - certainly in my book. I could happily dedicate a whole blog post to him alone. But to pick one? Easy. Live from San Quentin, it's the 'Folsom Prison Blues'.



What can be said about Buddy Holly that hasn't already been said? Here he is in 1959 and it's 'Raining in my Heart'.



Of course I must give a nod to 'The King'. I'm a big Elvis fan but as he gets more than enough exposure compared to many of his contemporaries, for once I thought I'd 'bury' him in the middle of this compilation to showcase the others more. But here he is, in 1957 with the anthemic 'Jailhouse Rock'.



Eddie Cochran was another master. Here he is with his 1958 hit 'Come on Everybody'.



Don't forget the Spencer Davis Group. Here they are with another song made famous for younger generations like myself via film, in this case 'The Blues Brothers'. From 1967 it's 'Gimme Some Lovin'.



Now I'm a huge Roy Orbison fan. The 'Big O', like Elvis and Buddy Holly died far too young but like them, he left a musical heritage for us all. Here he is with a song from his 'Mystery Girl' album in 1988. He'd made a comeback and this performance was at Antwerp on November 19th of that year. He died of a heart attack weeks later on December 6th.

'You've Got It'.



But let's finish at the beginning. 1956 saw the first 'great' Rock'n Roll song thanks to Bill Hayley and the Comets. 'Rock Around The Clock'.



To conclude, to truly finish where I began and a second helping of Chuck Berry. Possibly the greatest rock'n roll song of all time from 1958. Was there ever a more famous boy than Johnny B. Goode?



All of the above ladies and gentlemen, is what I like to refer to as 'proper music'.

No comments:

Post a Comment