Saturday 22 January 2011

Old at Heart - Celebrating The 50s & 60s Golden Years of Music

I was born in the wrong decade. My University friends always commented on it when they'd look through my CD collections.

I was born in 1982 and I am very fond of the music of my 'yoof' in the early 90s. But having said that, as anyone who knows me will testify, I've got a really eclectic taste in music. From classical, to rock to Brit Pop and back again.

But I've always had a particular soft spot for the 50s and 60s. It'll be my father's influence for sure. His musical taste lived through me during my formative years (including, quite randomly, the love of the Blackpool style Wurlitzer - which my mates found highly amusing!).

The Frankie and Benny Experience
But when you look at the music from the 50s and 60s particularly, it's just a wonderful wealth of quality. It's the era that above any other it can be argued that fashioned the music that was to follow through the remaining decades of the 20th century - rock'n roll emanated here and thank heavens for that.

The lyrics and the melodies are so simple and straightforward. They tell a story that we can all relate too.

I've been happily reminded of this having not listened so much to this era of music of late by my regular trips to the new Frankie and Benny's in Carmarthen with my Alyson. I absolutely adore the atmosphere there because they play these very songs and I find it difficult to eat the American/Italian range of food on the menu when I'm constantly singing along to every single song being played!

So, I've chosen a random mix of songs from this era that always make me smile.

We begin with Bobby Vee who in 1961 asked us to 'Take Good Care Of My Baby'.



Meanwhile, back in 1958 Michael Holliday told us 'The Story Of My Life'.



The Bachelors meanwhile were in 1964, singing about their dear 'Diane' .



What about Helen Shapiro? Well in 1961, she was 'Walking Back To Happiness'.



Frank Sinatra and Sammy Davis Jnr stuck live glue. 'Me and My Shadow' 1962 style.



Sam Cooke knew in 1959 '(What a) Wonderful World' this could be.



In 1961, Bobby Darin and Johnny Mercer were 'Two of a Kind'.


Back in 1954, The Chordettes were dreaming of Mister Sandman.



By 1958, it was all about the 'Lollipop' (as made doubly famous for me by being in the 1980s film 'Stand By Me').



In 1959, Dion & The Belmonts asked 'Why must I be a Teenager in Love?'



Meanwhile on the same theme, The Shirelles asked in 1960 'Will you still Love Me Tomorrow?'



As far as The Everly Brothers were concerned in 1958, 'All I Have To Do Is Dream'.



Nat King Cole tells us 'When He'll Fall In Love'.



From Dean Martin in 1955, 'Memories are Made of This'.



I finish with a lovely little ditty from the diddymen man himself - Ken Dodd. From 1964, 'Happiness'. 'Nuff said.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you. I have just spent an hour enjoying the songs of the 50s and reliving my teenage years! J

    ReplyDelete