Friday 6 July 2012

Nigel Mansell & Ayrton Senna Sharing a Ride at Silverstone

It's British Grand Prix time and I have myself had the great fortune to have attended 2 of them in the past - in 1993 and in 2008.

But for me, the iconic Silverstone moments of my era were those that I watched on TV.

There was Nigel Mansell's emotional win in 1992 on his way to that long awaited World Championship when his devoted fans broke ranks and surrounded him in jubilation on the track as can be seen here.



Then there was this wonderful moment which for me still stands out as one of the greatest sights in the history of the sport - when Mansell offered his great rival Ayrton Senna a lift back to the pits after he'd won the 1991 Grand Prix and Senna's McLaren had ran out of fuel on the final lap.

The fact that we lost Senna just a few years later of course makes it a poigniant image but it is nevertheless an image of great sportsmanship and camaraderie in a sport that takes no prisoners.

No comments:

Post a Comment