Saturday 24 December 2011

Cole's Musical Christmas Advent Calendar - Day 24! The Finale!

It's December which means for those who have them, it's been the time to get out those chocolate advent calendars!

But for those of you who, like me, don't do such things anymore (and indeed for those of you who still do!), I thought I'd give my own unique little twist on this festive time of year with my Musical Advent Calendar countdown of my Top 25 favourite Christmas songs!

I've been blogging a song a day, culminating today on Christmas Eve with this, my all-time favourite Christmas song.

Cole's Musical Christmas Advent Calendar - Day 24!

So this is it. My No.1 all-time favourite Xmas song.

It really wasn't a difficult choice in the end. There is something very earthy about The Pogues & Kirsty McColl's 'Fairytale of New York'. The harmonies between the two protaganists works out perfectly. I'm also a fan of Irish music so the melody rings perfectly for me.

It also has for me, one of most memorable lines in Christmas music

"The boys of the NYPD Choir were singing Galway Bay, and the bells were ringing out for Christmas Day".



So, that's your lot!

24 days and a countdown of my Top 25 Xmas songs. Some surprise choices no doubt and some unexpected omissions maybe I'm sure but then this is merely the choice of one person. I hope you've enjoyed them all the same.

May I take this opportunity of wishing all of my readers a Merry Christmas.

1 comment:

  1. Mark I wish you a Merry, Merry Christmas. Grongatulations to all posts in December.

    ReplyDelete