Friday 3 June 2011

Sparky for Villa? No - give me David Moyes

So, with Gerard Houllier only days out of a job at Villa Park, it looks as if his replacement may already be assured.

Houllier was relived of his position on Wednesday due to his poor health and whilst I have blogged in the past of my lack of enthusiasm for his selection as manager last autumn, I wish him the best for his future. He is a good man and has proved himself in his career to be a fine manager but I never felt that he was the right man for the moment in the Villa Park hotseat.

But barely 24 hours after the announcement was made, we heard yesterday that Mark Hughes has resigned as manager of Fulham after only a (successful) season in charge.

Hughes for Villa?
Now there are many names being linked to the Villa job and one that I would like to be seriously considered would be Everton's David Moyes. He for me is my number one at present.

But what of Mark Hughes' sudden decision to leave Craven Cottage? It may not be linked to the Villa vacancy but if not, then it's one hell of a coincidence. I personally have much time for Mark Hughes as a manager. Despite the poor tactical nouse that he showed in Wales' European Championship qualifying play-off second-leg against Russia in 2003, the fact that he got Wales there in the first place had to be to his credit. He was a good manager with Blackburn Rovers and I also felt that he was incredibly hard done by at Manchester City and having stepped into Roy Hodgson's huge shoes at Craven Cottage, he did well this season.

But is this action going to work against him? Many in the know think that it might. Only time will tell.

Personally, as much as I like Mark Hughes and whilst I think he would make a decent manager at the Villa, I want the man that despite having had short pickings, has worked little miracles at Goodison Park over the past decade.

David Moyes needs a bigger club to play with which has more resources (just). That club David, is Aston Villa.

1 comment:

  1. Villa are no bigger than Everton Mark. Nor is Hughes any less of a choice than Moyes. I think Hughes or Moyes would be excellent candidates, certainly better than the departing Houllier.

    ReplyDelete