Wednesday 8 June 2011

Ceredigion's Got Talent!

Last Monday evening, I was delighted to attend the Ceredigion Association of Voluntary Organisations (CAVO) annual awards evening in Aberaeron.

Speaking at the annual CAVO Awards Evening
I was present in my capacity as Vice-Chair of Ceredigion County Council, deputising for the Chair Cllr Catherine Hughes, and I was asked to help with the handing out of awards and certificates to the winning volunteers.

It was a great evening in the Memorial Hall in Aberaeron and it was brilliant to see so many people of all ages, contributing to what is a vibrant community throughout our county. (Thanks to the staff of CAVO for taking the photos - some of which I have reproduced here)

Handing out a Certificate to Volunteer Driver Vince Jones
There's much talk about the vaunted idea of the 'Big Society'. Well Mr Cameron, Ceredigion's well ahead of you because we've been doing community engagement and participation since before you were born. The voluntary sector is at the core of Ceredigion's day-to-day life with an estimated 1,200 to 1,500 voluntary organisations operating in our county alone. I've been well acquainted with many of them since I became a Councillor back in 2004 and met with many more during my Mayoral year in Cardigan in 2009-2010.

With the Award Winners
It was great to see so many at the awards evening, representing as they are, an entire community of volunteers who give of their time, with passion, enthusiasm and commitment, for the greater good and with no recourse to financial gain.

So Simon Cowell can do what he wants as far as I'm concerned but if he wants to take a look at some real local heroes in action then he should come over here to mid-Wales because I can tell him for nothing, Ceredigion's Got Talent!

No comments:

Post a Comment