Thursday 31 March 2011

Comic Relief 2011 - My Best Bits

Earlier this month, I blogged here and here about my Comic Relief favourite moments from the past 26 years from the release of the first charity single between Cliff Richard and the Young Ones, the first Red Nose Day in 1988 and the present day.

Well, I felt it only right to bring that up-to-date with my favourite moments from this year's festivities which culminated in the record breaking £74m raised for charity on the night alone.

A World Record
For the days running up to Red Nose Day, March 18th itself, Radio One stalwarts Chris Moyles and Comedy Dave set a new world record for a radio show of 52 hours. I'm not a Radio 1 fan - I'm more of a Radio 2 or Classic FM kinda guy so imagine my surprise at finding myself glued to the BBC Red Button channel 301, watching great chunks of this record attempt being played out in front of my eyes.

They raised a whopping £2.6m for Comic Relief from their attempt alone. Staggering. Here's the moment when they broke the World Record...



Another Red Nose Day hit was 'Smithy saves Red Nose Day 2011' . The Gavin & Stacey star teamed up with George Michael and stars from the entertainment and sporting world (and Gordon Brown!) for a hillarious sketch around possibly the biggest table ever!



Then there was the Alan Partridge sketch. Here he is he on North Norfolk Digitial Radio's Mid-Morning Matters supporting Comic Relief in his own inimitable way!





I must admit that I enjoyed the Masterchef spoof with Ruby Wax, Miranda Hart, Claudia Winkleman and David Cameron!





We also saw Andy Murray being Outnumbered!



But my highlight? Easy. Another masterstroke from the genius that is Peter Kay and his alter ego Geraldine McQueen. Dueting with Susan Boyle, they covered the 1980s Elaine Paige and Barbara Dickson hit.

Currently at No.11 in the charts, 'I Know Him So Well'.



Well done Comic Relief - you've played another blinder!

No comments:

Post a Comment