Wednesday 5 January 2011

'Community - Near and Far' - A Talk to Cardigan & District Soroptimists International

I was delighted to be invited as a guest speaker to the Cardigan and District Soroptimists International monthly meeting last night.

The actual invitation came during my Mayoral year back on May 1st - they're that orgnaised! The theme on which they wanted me to speak was 'Community - near and far' with particular interest in my experiences of the local community after my year as Mayor.

It was an informal 40 minute talk with a Q&A at the end in which I spoke about the communities that shaped me as a child such as my primary school in Whitland, the Sunday School in Martletwy and later on as a teenager, the YFC in Llawhaden. I then spoke of my experiences in University in Aberystwyth and latterly of course, my increasing involvement in the communities of Aberystwyth and Cardigan as a Town and County Councillor.

I spoke about my experiences as Mayor in far away places such as Wootten Bassett and in our twin town of Brioude and also locally in my pursuit to promote all that is positive in Cardigan. I discussed the many passionate public meetings that we have had here in town over recent years on issues such as the future of the castle, the Big Art project and the Bathhouse Development - all of which has demonstrated an enthusiasm, an engagement and a pro-active commitment by the local community to fight for what it feels is right for the town's future.

I concluded by talking about the successful 900th year celebrations that have just been completed in 2010 which encapsulated that passion that us native or adopted 'Cardis' have for our home land.

It was a very pleasant experience sharing my thoughts on these issues with the Soroptimists and as ever, they were very welcoming and warm in their thanks to me afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment