Saturday 11 December 2010

Killer Corrie Quotes (No.10) - Ken Barlow

Well, what a week that was for the residents of Coronation Street!

It was a dramatic week on the Cobbles which began with the great tram crash on Monday. It culminated with the soap celebrating its 50th birthday on Thursday with a live 1 hour episode. We've seen the death of Ashley and of Molly whilst both Charlotte and Peter seem to be at death's door. Rita was pulled out of the debris of the Kabin although she is still in a critical condition. Fizz has given birth to a baby girl whilst Leanne made her wedding vows to Peter with what seemed to be his dying breaths.

To pay tribute to the world's longest current runnning soap, I've been blogging a quote a day from Corrie's past up until the big day and beyond.

During the week, I've quoted Coronation Street legends that include Albert Tatlock, Hilda Ogden, Elsie Tanner, Ena Sharples, Emily Bishop and Vera Duckworth to name but a few.

But it is only apt and fitting that I conclude with a quote from the legend that is Ken Barlow. He was there on that very first episode on December 9th 1960 and was there again this Thursday, December 9th 2010 at his son's hospital bedside - a world record for an on-going running soap character.

His quote comes from the conclusion to the corresponding live episode on Coronation Street's 40 anniversary back in December 2000.

He summed Coronation Street up in one simple, but wonderful moment. So, here is that final quote, quote No.10...

"It wasn't just the cobbles that got us here all together today. It was a feeling of tradition, of community and I'm proud of where I come from. I've lived here all my life. I've seen a lot of people come and go, a lot of changes, a lot dramas down this street. Like lots of other streets where people are living and trying to get together but it's just that I find that there's something a little bit special about this one and I know that you all feel the same. So I want you to raise your glasses with me and drink a toast, to Coronation Street" - Ken Barlow

Thank you Coronation Street for an incredible week, but more importantly, for the past 50 years. Here's to the next 50.

No comments:

Post a Comment